2017-2018 Season Schedule
Unless otherwise noted services are held at:
St. James Episcopal Church |Directions|
76 Federal Street
New London, CT 06320-6601
Pequot Chapel, New London, CT |Directions|
- Introit: Richard Farrant–Lord, for thy tender mercies’ sake
Preces: Bernard Rose
Psalm 34,(Hopkins, Atkins)
Office Hymn: 29
Canticles: Charles Villiers Stanford - in B-flat
Anthem: Herbert Howells– O pray for the peace of Jerusalem
October 22, 2017 - 5:00 PM
Introit: Charles Wood–God omnipotent reigneth
Office Hymn: 388
Canticles:Bryan Kelly - in C
- December 10, 2017 - 5:00 PM
A Service of Lessons and Carols for Advent
|A History of The Service of Lessons and Carols|
- Introit: Thomas Attwood - "O God who by the leading of a star"
- First Lesson - Book of Genesis
God announces in the Garden of Eden that the seed of woman shall bruise the serpent’s head.
- Carol:R.V. Williams“The Truth from above”
- Second Lesson - Book of Isaiah
The Prophet proclaims good news to a people in exile.
- Carol: Felix Mendelssohn How lovely are the messangers
- Third Lesson - Book of Jeremiah
The Lord promises to send his people a righteous King.
Carol: J.S. Bach Zion hört die Wächter singen (from Cantata 140)
- Fourth Lesson - Book of Isaiah
The Prophet foretells the glory of the kingdom of God.
- Carol: EdvardGrieg “Ave maris stella”
- Fifth Lesson - Book of Isaiah
- Sixth Lesson - St. Luke
The Angel Gabriel salutes the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Carol: Arnold Bax “I sing of a maiden”
- Congregational Carol:Healey Willan“Hodie Christus natus est”
- Seventh Lesson - St. Mark
Jesus is baptized by John and proclaims the coming of the kingdom of God.
- Congregational Carol: “Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding”
- Closing Carol: Hans Leo Hassler Verbum caro factum est
- Congregational Carol: "Lo! He comes with clouds descending”
December 16, 2017 - 5:00 PM
A Concert of Music for the Christmas season
St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Westdrook, CT.
Music to be announced
January 28, 2018 - 5:00 PM
Introit: Thomas Attwood - "O God who by the leading of a star
Psalm8: (ley) 84 (Bairstow)
Office Hymn: 126
Canticles:Basil Harwood - in A flat
Anthem:William Crotch –Lo, star led chiefs
Lenten Devotion- The Crucifixion - John Stainer
April 15, 2018 - 5:00 PM
Introit: Healey Willan–Rise up my love
Psalm114,(Tonus Perigrinus) Psalm 115 (DudleyBuck)
Canticles:Herbert Howells - Colegium Regale
Anthem:Edward Bairstow–Blessed City Heavenly Salem